Our Board of Scientific Advisors reviews and analyzes the scientific field and latest trends in cancer research for the direction of NFCR’s commitment to advance our mission. Collaboration is a bedrock principle of NFCR, and we take a peer-nominated and peer-reviewed approach to “team science.” We invite proposals from exceptional scientists and their collaborators whose novel research ideas have the greatest potential for breakthroughs that can have the highest impact for cancer patients.
There is significant progress being made. More and more cancer patients are surviving longer after being diagnosed. We are even seeing cures for certain cancers. Such discoveries are the result of decades-long funding and research collaboration. However, we have a long way to go. Additional funding is required to develop therapies. Our goal at NFCR is to make life-threatening cancer a treatable disease in the future, and the only way to reach that goal is through continued research in laboratories.
• Resources: Depending on what type of cancer your loved one has, you can provide information on the latest research NFCR is funding as well as direction for clinical trials where available. We recently launched the NFCR Oncology Metaverse, a community space to connect researchers, physicians, and the cancer population with oncologists who can help them understand what they are facing.
• Support: Donate to NFCR in their honor to support cancer research on our tribute page. Or become a sustaining supporter through our Champion for a Cure monthly-giving program. Or show more support and solidarity by setting up a peer-to-peer fundraiser either on our GoFundMe page or our Facebook page and share with family and friends.
Over the last five decades, with the help of over 5.3 million donors, NFCR has delivered over $390 million in funding to support cancer research and education, leading to several important, life-saving discoveries.
• Seed Funding: Supporting innovative research with seed funding that is difficult to obtain from other sources.
• Flexibility: Providing flexible funding enabling scientists to pursue promising and unanticipated discoveries during the course of their research. This flexibility allows scientists to seize new opportunities as they arise.
• Long-Term Vision: Providing sustaining resources and a commitment to the long-term success of NFCR research programs.
• Collaboration: Promoting and facilitating collaboration between researchers to accelerate life-saving research worldwide.
• Global Reach: Establishing an international network of research centers and promote the sharing of ideas and information across institutions and disciplines.
• Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives: Employing a multi-disciplinary strategy, bringing together scientists in different fields to advance cancer research.
Since 1973, NFCR has distinguished itself in the cancer research community by funding high-risk, high-impact, long-term, and transformative research programs. We are one of the few charities willing to take risks and fund the most innovative ideas in cancer research before anybody shows any interest. These new ideas often open critical new fields in cancer research which have led to breakthrough therapies for cancer patients. We fund research for all cancers and we believe that advances in one field will contribute to discoveries and breakthroughs in another.
For information about other significant cancer themes and topics (e.g. metastasis, genomics, immunotherapy), you will find this section under Research Programs.
If you do not find the information you are looking for, feel free to call us so we can better address your question or send you information.