National Foundation for Cancer Research
Position Title: Human Resources Manager
Reports To: CFO and Head of Human Resources
Direct Reports: None
Date: November 25, 2017
Overall Objective: The overall purpose of the position
The Manager is a member of the finance/administration team responsible for human resources activities of the Foundation including employment, compensation/benefits, employee relations, training and development, human resources information systems, and employer compliance. This includes responsibility for daily human resources operations to help promote a workplace culture that reflects the Foundation’s values, rewards excellent performance and creates a “best place to work” environment.
Duties: Key functions and responsibilities; what is done is more important than how.
- Manages the recruiting and hiring practices and procedures of the Foundation to enable the recruitment of top talent; coordinates all hiring activity and assures employer compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Works with the CFO and other leaders to establish salary structures and pay policies to help retain superior staff; monitors all pay practices and systems for effectiveness and cost containment; works to assure that compensation is competitive in the marketplace.
- Works with the CFO and other leaders to design, implement and administer cost-effective and competitive employee benefit offerings that maximizes employee satisfaction and retention; handles employee benefits enrollment and inquiries regarding Foundation benefits.
- Develops and recommends Human Resources policies and objectives; partners with management to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, programs, and laws.
- Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation; investigates and resolves employee complaints and concerns; periodically evaluates employee satisfaction and employee engagement, sharing results and recommendations with management.
- Coaches and trains managers in providing feedback and recognition to employees; implements and monitors an on-going employee performance evaluation program.
- Coordinates all Foundation staff training and development programs, creating a continuous learning environment for staff; assists managers in the selection of external training programs; maintains employee training records.
- Utilizes an HRIS system to capture all human capital data for the Foundation; assures accuracy of the data and efficient retrieval to meet information needs; manages the development and maintenance of the human resources sections of the Foundation website.
- Assures compliance with all existing rules, regulations and laws governing the employer workplace; protects the interests of the Foundation to minimize exposure to lawsuits.
- Works with outside consultants, attorneys, auditors, insurance carriers and brokers, pension administrators and other external professionals.
- Assists the Chief Financial Officer with special projects as needed; may work at fundraising events or attend activities as a Foundation representative.
Accountability: Level of position authority and scope of role
Serves as a member of the Foundation’s finance/administration team responsible for compliant human resources operations that create a “best place to work” environment. Primarily an internal, functional manager role. Works closely with all staff in the performance of duties. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, ERISA, OSHA and other applicable laws as well as Foundation policies.
Skills/Competencies: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities; Education/Experience needed for success
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Human Resources: Considerable knowledge in employment and benefits laws and regulations. Skill in assuring employer workplace compliance. Considerable knowledge of compensation and benefits practices and programs. Skill in recruiting talent. Skill in writing and administering human resources policies. Ability to manage workplace programs in training, employee communications, and employee engagement. Skill in coordinating training and development programs to meet organizational and individual needs.
- Computer: Excellent knowledge and skill in using Microsoft Office Suite, automated human resources information systems, and in electronic report design, development and production.
- Time management/Organizational skills: Skill in working on multiple projects at a time under tight deadlines and in project management overall. Excellent attention to detail and efficient time manager who understands and can execute on complex instructions.
- Interpersonal/Communications: Outstanding interpersonal relationship builder. Skill in easily building rapport and in responding substantively and timely to staff inquiries. Skill in management and employee coaching in the workplace. Unwavering ability to maintain the confidences of others. Ability to identify inefficiencies and implement improved workflow processes in a team environment. Ability to work independently, and on a team, and successfully meet goals and objectives. Demonstrates genuine caring for cancer victims and motivated to find a cure.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, social sciences, business administration or related field.
- Three or more years of experience in a professional generalist or specialist human resources position, preferably in a nonprofit or academic setting.
- Equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered.
- PHR or SHRM-CP is a plus.
Work Environment: Intermittent or consistent requirements of a physical or unusual nature
Physical demands are representative of those expected of a manager in a non-profit organization. Time commitments outside of regular office hours are infrequent.
How to Apply:
NFCR offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package. Please send us a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.