Opportunity: Donor Relations Officer, Gift Planning
Posted: August 28, 2017
Help Support Research for a Cure!
If you are an experienced and successful gift planning practitioner and want to join a team of professionals based in the Washington D.C. area who are fighting cancer, the National Foundation for Cancer Research (NFCR) wants to hear from you! Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Donor Relations Officer, Gift Planning is responsible for leading gift planning activities and the Legacy Society at NFCR. We are seeking to grow significantly our known expectancies and charitable gift annuity program for long-term health of the organization and deeper relations with our support base.
- Conduct donor discovery through data mining, via phone, e-mail and in-person meetings
- Identify, research, cultivate, solicit, and steward planned giving prospects and legacy society
- Develop, coordinate and maintain planned giving activities and follow-up efforts
- Answer donors’ requests through phone, email or mail relating to planned giving
- Design, prepare, and distribute planned–giving information packages and charitable gift annuity illustrations based on donors’ requests and interests
- Work with donor relations team to promote interaction with planned giving prospects and improve recognition of donors making planned gifts
- Enter data into our prospect management system, as well as our Crescendo Interactive software
- Maintain computer and hard-copy files of planned giving donors and prospects
- Perform other functions as needed
- This position will require 25% travel, including local, regional and national locations to meet donors and attend development and industry events.
The Ideal Candidate Will:
- Have a minimum of 3 years of demonstrated success in planned giving fundraising
- Have a thorough understanding of planned giving instruments and techniques, especially charitable gift annuity cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Have strong interpersonal skills. We are seeking a real “people person,” who demonstrates energy and enthusiasm, and is able to generate enthusiasm in others.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have experience and comfort with making calls and visit to previously non-engaged donors
- Be well-organized, detail-oriented and proactive in taking the initiative
- A true team player – ready and willing to help other members of the team, when appropriate
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook in particular)
- Willing and able to travel locally, regionally and nationally up to 25% to engage donors
- Genuinely cares for people that are victims of cancer and is committed to our quest to find the cure.
Additional Desired Skills/Proficiencies:
- CFRE and other non-profit fundraising certifications
- Proficient in Salesforce Enterprise CRM software and Crescendo Interactive Gift Planning software
How to Apply:
NFCR offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package. Please send us a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Foundation for Cancer Research is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides scientists in the lab the funding they need to make game-changing discoveries in cancer treatments, detection, prevention and ultimately, a cure. NFCR distinguishes itself from other organizations by emphasizing long-term, transformative, cutting-edge cancer research. With the help of 5.2 million individual donors over the last 44 years, NFCR has delivered more than $350 million in funding to public education and cancer research leading to several important, life-saving discoveries. Visit nfcr.org to learn more.